Subject: Human hair embroidery

Human hair embroidery

From: Alison Freake <alison.freake<-at->
Date: Monday, July 5, 2010
I have been asked by a client to seek out advice for an object that
is currently unstable and presenting some difficulty.  The object is
a piece of embroidery, likely human hair, completed about 1793 in
the British Isles.  It is framed, with the original glass and
dustsheet. The piece lived in Southern Ontario for a while before
being brought to the drier climes of Western Canada.  In the
process, the oval frame has cracked in 2 places, but the major issue
is with the embroidery itself. The majority of the stitching is
intact, but the background area, which was likely cross-hatched in
broad stitches, has lost much of the hair (which is still inside the
frame).  The silk is likely brittle due to contact with
inappropriate mounting materials, and has buckled, which is
contributing to the loss of the hair.

Has anyone out there dealt with something similar?  Our services do
not extend to this type of material, so if anyone is interested in
becoming more involved, please let me know!  I have offered to
compile some options for the owner to pursue, as well as contact
information from anyone who may be interested in eventually taking
on a project of this sort.

Images are available upon request.

Alison Freake
Conservator