Subject: Raman spectroscopy for identifying plastics

Raman spectroscopy for identifying plastics

From: David Cottier-Angeli <dca<-at->
Date: Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Gathering my morning incoming mailbox, I received this post from
another scientific community distribution list. I just copy and past
some basics and put the web link below anyone interested.
They have also a short and well done commercial video which
summarize the product.

   "The plastics market has numerous methods to assist in
    identifying incoming materials like the burn and sniff test and
    density tests. They're time consuming, not always the most
    practical, and most end up destroying the sample. These tests
    also create many challenges when trying to quickly, and reliably
    identify plastics, but there are alternative methods available
    that are safer and faster. ... The RAPID-ID plastics identifier
    uses Raman spectroscopy to accurately identify differences in
    plastics in a matter of seconds. A Raman spectrum displays
    characteristic peaks that are related to specific chemical
    groups."

    <URL:http://www.ides.com/articles/materials/
        2010/Raman-Spectroscopy-Plastics-Identification.asp>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Hope this will help some of us,

David Cottier-Angeli
Associated Member of the Swiss Chamber of Technical and Scientific
Forensic Experts
5C Route des Jeunes
CH-1227 Geneva
+41 22 300 19 55