Subject: Host sought for traveling exhibition on conservation science

Host sought for traveling exhibition on conservation science

From: Antonino Cosentino <tonycosentino<-at->
Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010
    author.

C.S.I. for Art, traveling exhibit for art museums

Add another dimension to your collection with an exhibit on
conservation science. Conservation science is a compelling and
interdisciplinary science--the scientific examination of art,
archaeology, and historical architecture objects in order to detect
forgeries, pinpoint dating, understand ancient technology, and
examine the processes of degradation. Stories from conservation
science can hook the interest of new visitors who are not typically
interested in museums, and also add depth to visitor's understanding
of objects. This travelling exhibit will include engaging detective
stories examining reproductions of notable works of art from other
museums plus non-destructive analysis of works from *your* museum.

This project is a proposal to the National Science Foundation's
Informal Science Education program, and we are currently recruiting
dissemination partners. The project is based at University of
Portland, and key partners are IDEA.org and Oregon Museum of Science
and Industry. We are proposing to build a traveling exhibit "C.S.I
(Crime Scene Investigation) for Art" which will be composed of a
collection of scientific equipment for Forensic Investigation of Art
which the public will be invited to use in order to perform art
investigation for authentication as well as dating (examining both
reproductions, and works from your museum). We believe that art
conservation science has a great potential in order to engage art
museum audience to science learning.

We are looking for art museums who may be tentatively interested in
hosting this exhibit in 2012-2015. The exhibit will be small in
order to fit local museums and will be composed of displays, and
non-destructive analysis instruments--multispectral imaging and
spectroscopy. Your museum would host the exhibit for 1-3 months
(depending on your preference), and our staff will help mount and
train staff or volunteer in operating the exhibit.

This is a multidisciplinary way to reach out to a broader audience,
and to showcase a scientific dimension to your existing
collections--for free.

If you are possibly interested in hosting this exhibit please
contact:

    Antonino Cosentino
    Multidisciplinary Cyberlearning Manager
    IDEA, Rockville, Maryland
    tonycosentino<-at->yahoo<.>it

Antonino Cosentino, Ph.D.
visiting scholar, CISA3, Center of interdisciplinary Science for
Art, Architecture and Archaeology
UCSD Division
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Dr. # 0436