Subject: Damage caused by natural gas

Damage caused by natural gas

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl<-at->
Date: Saturday, June 19, 2010
Craig Deller <cdelle [at] saic__edu> writes

>I am looking for any information on the possible damage to artifacts
>that have been subjected to long term exposure to natural gas (the
>type used for heating with hydrogen disulfide added for smell).
>There is nothing in the literature that I have been able to find.
>Are there long term adverse effects that can damage furniture
>finishes, even if they are removed and replaced?

Further to Tom Conroy's response, there are two papers published by
the (U.S.) Bureau of Standards:

    Technologic Papers of the Bureau of Standards
    No. 20: "Determination of Sulphur in Illuminating Gas" by R.S.
    McBride and E.R. Weaver, March 7, 1913.

    Technologic Papers of the Bureau of Standards
    No. 34: "Determination of Ammonia in Illuminating Gas" by J.D.
    Edwards, March 2, 1914

The role of deliquescent salts should also be examined.

Jack
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217