Subject: Non-woven fabrics for paintings conservation

Non-woven fabrics for paintings conservation

From: Simon Barcham Green <simongreen<-at->
Date: Saturday, June 19, 2010
Eva V. Therkildsen <evt [at] bcoest__dk> writes

>Lamination on tables using heat and vacuum is widely used in
>conservation of paintings and textiles. During this process it is
>common to place some inert, air permeable material between object
>and table. In Denmark a non-woven material with the brand name
>Promatco is often used. I don't know what it consists of, but it is
>light brown, rather stiff but flexible, completely inert to heat and
>moisture, and 1 - 1.5 mm thick.
>
>The Promatco material is not made anymore and a substitute is
>needed. What is used in other countries? Does anybody know of a good
>alternative?

Promatco was an abbreviation for Process Materials Corporation which
does not seem to be the same business as Process Materials
Incorporated. I doubt if Promatco made this non-woven themselves and
from your description this sounds like a material that is made as a
form of carpet underlay to protect the carpet or main underlay from
uneven floors. It may have a much wider use in building
construction. You could try sourcing in from that general area but I
have no idea about what transmissible chemicals it might contain. As
the vacuum will draw air and fluids away from the textile object
this may not matter.

Simon Barcham Green
1 Snapgate Cottage
Five Oak Lane