Subject: Source for Fuller's earth sought

Source for Fuller's earth sought

From: Monona Rossol <actsnyc<-at->
Date: Saturday, June 19, 2010
Andrea Reichert <aj_reichert [at] videotron__ca> writes

>I am looking for a reliable source for Fuller's Earth either in
>Canada or the U.S. Can anyone provide me with some leads? ...

I don't think you really want to use something called "fullers
earth."  It is a generic term covering any mineral powder that will
full cloth, that is absorb oil or soil from textiles.

There are many minerals sold as fullers earth and clays of many
types predominate.  In one particular case, the clay was attapulgite
and the fullers earth was thought safe and used on a movie location
to simulate a dust storm. After two days of shooting, a union camera
woman was taken to the hospital with acute respiratory problems that
did not resolve leaving her with permanent scar tissue (fibrosis).
The reason is that attapulgite is an amphibole mineral that can be
found in two forms, one of which is fibrous and similar to asbestos.

So instead, purchase known minerals that will also full cloth such
as benonite, montmorillite, kaolin, etc.  Then you at least will
know what you are working with.

And keep in mind that any inert mineral dust in fine particle size
is hazardous to inhale.

Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A.,
industrial hygienist
Arts, Crafts &Theater Safety, Inc.
and
Safety Officer,
United Scenic Artist's, Local USA829
International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employes (IATSE)
181 Thompson St., #23
New York NY 10012-2586
212/777-0062

                  Distributed: Saturday, June 26, 2010