Subject: Colour matching

Colour matching

From: Sheila Walthew <sheilawalthew<-at->
Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Srebrenka Bogovic-Zeskoski <fineartinfo [at] rogers__com> writes

>... It is an abstract painting and the damage
>is mostly in a large area of yellow-orange colour.
>
>Inpainting this hue has proven to be more than challenging, almost
>impossible, hence this plea for suggestions and advice. The
>touch-ups, like a chameleon, change the hue quite substantially in
>different lights.  If the match is perfect in daylight it is much
>darker under an incandescent and/or halogen light source.  I presume
>that I am dealing with a "metameric match" and/or pigment-size
>(Rayleigh scattering) since both yellow and orange are cadmium based
>pigments. The issue presents itself when using any medium: oil,
>acrylic or water color

I don't know if I can provide any sure fire answers to her problem,
but I would try using some Alizarin Orange, this makes colours very
hot and is often a useful addition to transparent blacks which will
not get black enough. I don't think it is manufactured anymore (by
Cornellisen's) but friends and colleagues may have a little hoard
somewhere.

Sheila Walthew
Shropshire, UK

                   Distributed: Friday, June 18, 2010