Subject: Walls

Walls

From: Alan J. Hawk <alan.hawk<-at->
Date: Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Our museum is interested in collecting walls of a waiting room with
graffiti (names of patients) that have passed through Balad Theater
Hospital.  I am trying to get an idea of what we are up against and
have received the below response from personnel in country.  These
people are not trained museum people nor where they around when the
walls were put up nor are they construction workers.

   "[T]he walls are made of common drywall (3/8 inch) with ... years
    of overlapping paint and poor quality craftsmanship [when]
    putting up the work. It would be best if a trained team were to
    come in and take down the walls. We have the ability to make
    (wood) crates to ship them in to prevent any further damage. We
    were advised against using any type of lacquer or sealant to
    protect against chipping. (the writing would bleed). Your
    assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated and needed for
    this magnitude of a project. Thank you for your continued
    interest in what our heroes have left behind."

The building appears to be a masonry structure.  Since the interior
is lined with drywall, I am assuming that they were put up over
studs or wood furring strips, but I am not positive.  Since I am not
sure whether they were put up by American or Iraqi labor and cannot
assume American construction standards.

I would appreciate thoughts on how best to remove these items as
well as how suggested questions that an untrained person could
answer.  I can forward images to anyone if they would help
understand the situation.

Alan Hawk
Collections Manager, Historical Collections
National Museum of Health and Medicine
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
Bldg. 54, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Washington, DC  20306-6000
PO Box 59685 Washington DC20012-0685
202-782-2205, DSN 662-2205
Fax: 202-782-3573