Subject: Adhesives for waxed paper

Adhesives for waxed paper

From: Andrea Fischer <a.fischer<-at->
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Mary Fahey <maryf [at] thehenryford__org> writes

>Can anyone suggest an adhesive to be used to repair fake flowers,
>made from wax coated paper. The wax layer is rather thick.

In Stuttgart we tested a selection of adhesive materials for beeswax
sculptures with particular regard to their adhesive strength. Our
study indicates that various natural and synthetic polymers, applied
as a solution in polar solvents, display an adequate bond strength
on beeswax substrates without risking damage. Considering our
results, I would recommend trying Mowilith 30 or isinglass glue if
you need a high bonding strength. All tested dispersions showed a
slightly lower adhesive strength.

Andrea Fischer
Staatliche Akademie der Bildenden Kunste Stuttgart
Stuttgart, Germany

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 13, 2010