Subject: Ozone generators

Ozone generators

From: Jean Brown <jean.brown<-at->
Date: Friday, June 4, 2010
Barbara Appelbaum <aandh [at] mindspring__com> writes

>I have always heard that ozone is a strong oxidizer and therefore
>cannot be used on art, but this stuff has no long-term value, and my
>main concern is whether the ozone could possibly alter the colors in
>a major way.  I would appreciate information on what kind of
>noticeable changes the ozone can be reasonably expected to cause.  I
>would also appreciate information on whether the ozone really does
>eliminate smells!

As a student on the Paper Conservation Programme at Camberwell
College of Arts I carried out research into the use of Ozone as a
bleach for works of art on paper. It worked effectively as an
oxidising bleach for discoloured paper as well as coloured organic
media

A. Jean E. Brown
Programme Leader
Preventive Conservation and Cultural Management
Burt Hall
Northumbria University
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8ST
+44 191 227 3331