Subject: Preserving lipstick on chrome

Preserving lipstick on chrome

From: Vanessa Wiggin <vanessa<-at->
Date: Thursday, June 3, 2010
Julie Snyder <snyder_julie [at] shure__com> writes

>I recently acquired a microphone (chrome grill, foam windscreen
>beneath), which under normal circumstances would not pose any
>storage issues. However, this particular microphone has a
>performer's lipstick on it, and I would like to keep it there.  Can
>anyone recommend a means for preservation that won't dissolve the
>lipstick, or damage the chrome or windscreen?  ...

I recently packed some glasses for storage that still had traces of
lipstick.  They hadn't been used since at least the early 1970s,
maybe much earlier.  Perhaps no treatment is required if the
microphone is carefully handled and stored.

Vanessa Wiggin
Director of Conservation
ArtWorks Conservation

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 13, 2010