Subject: Epo-Tek 301

Epo-Tek 301

From: Sarah Benrubi <sarahben8<-at->
Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] aim__com> writes

>I recently decided to order some Epotek 301 for the purpose of
>mounting metallographic samples and paint cross-sections,
>understanding it to be one of the better optical epoxies.
>... The folks at Epoxy Technologies (the
>vendor in Billerica) says the shelf life is about a year, so I'm
>ordering the larger quantity to save money.

Be sure to order Epotek 301-2 and not the Epotek 301 (less stability
on yellowing). See "Conservation and care of glass objects" by S.P.
Koob (p.48)

Concerning  the shelf life, I've just seen once the hardener
becoming yellow. I think it was probably because I forgot to close
the bottle once (I think hardener is more sensitive to humidity).
Otherwise the Epotek can stay good for more than a year.

Sarah Benrubi
Glass and Ceramics conservation
rue Monrose 15
B-1030 Brussels