Subject: Ozone generators

Ozone generators

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-at->
Date: Friday, May 28, 2010
Barbara Appelbaum <aandh [at] mindspring__com> writes

>I have always heard that ozone is a strong oxidizer and therefore
>cannot be used on art, but this stuff has no long-term value, and my
>main concern is whether the ozone could possibly alter the colors in
>a major way.  I would appreciate information on what kind of
>noticeable changes the ozone can be reasonably expected to cause.  I
>would also appreciate information on whether the ozone really does
>eliminate smells!

I do not have any scientific data to share on this, but I have
experienced going to a fire location and smelling the fire char
smell and returning after the ozone and fans were done and not a
trace could be detected.  Work brought to me after fires and treated
with ozone also did not smell.  I do recommend to clients that they
be selective in its use.  I used to use one in my laboratory on 5th
Street in S.F. due to the tremendous debris that came in the air
from Folsom and 5th streets.  It was quite effective, I did a number
of swabs after installing and found the air borne debris was
decreased in our inner rooms when the generators were working and
the filters seemed quite full more often, though I did not attempt
to quantify that.  May have just been psychosomatic effects.

Niccolo

                  Distributed: Wednesday, June 2, 2010