Subject: Patrick Ravines appointed Director at Buffalo State College

Patrick Ravines appointed Director at Buffalo State College

From: Meredeth Lavelle <lavellma<-at->
Date: Monday, May 24, 2010
Following a comprehensive international search, Patrick Ravines has
been selected as the new director of Buffalo State College's
renowned Art Conservation Department, effective July 2010.

Ravines comes to the college with more than 25 years of experience
as a conservator, researcher, and administrator.   Most recently, he
has been Senior Project Conservator and Research Fellow at George
Eastman House (GEH) International Museum of Photography and Film,
working on a collaborative program among the Museum of Fine Arts,
Boston and New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, and GEH, studying
the deterioration of daguerreotypes using advanced electron and
optical imaging techniques.

   "Patrick Ravines is ideally qualified to further advance our
    reputation, our curriculum, and our service to the art world,:
    said Kevin Railey, interim provost of Buffalo State College.
    "With great pleasure we welcome him to the campus and the
    community."

Ravines is the fourth director of the Buffalo State Art Conservation
Program since its founding in 1970.  His selection follows the
departure of Dr. Elizabeth Pena a year ago.   "We are grateful to
the search committee for their thoughtful, comprehensive work," said
Benjamin Christy, dean of the School of Arts and Humanities.   "I
also want to personally thank Professor James Hamm who served as
interim director, providing adept leadership while continuing his
faculty responsibilities."

Prior to his position at GEH, Ravines was an Andrew W. Mellon Fellow
in the Advanced Residency Program in Photograph Conservation in
Rochester, and, for more than a decade, Chief of the Conservation
Office at the Baha'i World Center in Haifa, Israel. Ravines holds
advanced degrees in Chemistry (University of Wisconsin), Library
Science, and Library and Archives Conservation (Columbia
University).

Buffalo State Art Conservation Department is one of the leading
programs of its kind in North America.  Accepting only ten students
a year, the competitive three-year graduate program trains
conservators of fine art and material cultural heritage.  Graduates
can be found in the conservation labs of major institutions across
the US, including the National Gallery of Art, the Library of
Congress and the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, The Brooklyn
Museum, The Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Museum of Modern Art
in New York, etc. The department is currently planning an expansion
in Rockwell Hall, scheduled to be completed in 2012.

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 27, 2010