Subject: Bleaching

Bleaching

From: Tracey Heft <trace<-at->
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2010
I have some papers that need to be bleached but *cannot* be bleached
in an aqueous environment.  Therefore, I am looking for help on
alternatives to aqueous bleaching.  Chlorine dioxide seems to be the
only option, but I would then need further information on setting up
a safe system to bleach these papers (8 in total) not to mention a
supplier of chlorine dioxide.

A while back, I successfully bleached some ground-wood pulp
suspended in a chamber above a tray with sodium hypochlorite, but
haven't been able to duplicate the results.  Any ideas on bleaching
with vapours instead of aqueous treatments are welcome.

Tracey Heft
Eclipse Paper Conservation

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 20, 2010