Subject: Treating waterlogged wood with hydrolyzed feather keratin

Treating waterlogged wood with hydrolyzed feather keratin

From: Leentje Linders <leentjelinders<-at->
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 2010
I am a masters student in archaeological conservation at the Royal
Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. I am treating some waterlogged
archaeological objects, consisting of wood (oak) and metal (one with
copper alloy and one with tin alloy, the largest wooden element
being about 10 x 20 cm + 1.5 cm).

The drying process causes problems, because the metal and the wood
can't be separated. I also don't have access to a freeze dryer.  A
treatment with polyethylene glycol (PEG) is corrosive towards the
metal and it also takes a lot of time. As a student, I have a
deadline and have been looking for faster methods that still meet
conservation ethics. I have found some articles about a new drying
method: treatment with hydrolyzed feather keratin. They use the
protein keratin from duck feathers to impregnate the waterlogged
archaeological wood.

I wondered if someone already has experience with this method and
has applied it on an historical or archaeological artefact. I'm very
interested about the aging properties of the keratin and its
reaction with metals. I am looking forward to any reaction,

Leentje Linders
Masters student Archaeological Conservation
Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp
Belgium

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 20, 2010