Subject: Relaxing climate control

Relaxing climate control

From: Vicki Humphrey <humphrey.vicki<-at->
Date: Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Karen Potje <kpotje [at] cca__qc__ca> writes

>   "Indianapolis relaxes climate controls: Leading directors have
>    been questioning the scientific validity-and cost-of running air
>    conditioning to the current standard specification" By Javier
>    Pes From issue 212, April 2010 Published online 8 Apr 10, 2010
>    (Museums)
>
>    (c) The Art Newspaper 2010
>
>    <URL:http://www.theartnewspaper.com/
>        articles/Indianapolis-relaxes-climate-controls/20440>

The issues associated with the currently accepted museum
environmental standards in the context of increasing concern about
climate change and our recognition that we need to take more
sustainable approaches, will be discussed in the International
Institute for Conservation's (IIC) next Round Table dialogue: The
Plus/Minus Dilemma: The Way Forward in Environmental Guidelines. IIC
is collaborating with the American Institute for Conservation (AIC)
to bring together experts to discuss environmental guidelines,
advances in environmental research, and the way forward to solve the
plus/minus dilemma. The Round Table will be held in Milwaukee on 13
May 2010, during the AIC annual conference.

For over four decades the environmental guidelines for museums and
archives have been defined within narrow parameters. While many
factors influenced what became standards, the narrowest range of
conditions and the greatest insistence on them, came when energy was
relatively cheap, global climate considerations were not yet
mainstream discussions, and the technology of HVAC systems was
focused more on control than efficiency. Given the looming energy
crisis, the global economic downturn, and the rising awareness of
green technology equating to good stewardship of our natural
resources, responsible and efficient environmental control has
become essential.

Amber Kerr and Rose Daly will be blogging live from the event as guests
of the IIC News Blog

    <URL:http://www.iiconservation.org/news>

Further information, including the Round Table members, is available
at

    <URL:http://www.iiconservation.org/index.php>

Readers may also be interested in the transcript of the Round Table
held in London on 17 of September 2008: Climate Change and Museum
Collections. The transcript can be found at:

    <URL:http://www.iiconservation.org/dialogues/>

Vicki Humphrey
Editor, News in Conservation

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 4, 2010