Subject: Relaxing climate control

Relaxing climate control

From: Laurent Sozzani <l.sozzani<-at->
Date: Monday, May 3, 2010
Karen Potje <kpotje [at] cca__qc__ca> writes

>   "Indianapolis relaxes climate controls: Leading directors have
>    been questioning the scientific validity-and cost-of running air
>    conditioning to the current standard specification" By Javier
>    Pes From issue 212, April 2010 Published online 8 Apr 10, 2010
>    (Museums)
>
>    (c) The Art Newspaper 2010
>
>    <URL:http://www.theartnewspaper.com/
>        articles/Indianapolis-relaxes-climate-controls/20440>

A comment regarding broader climate standards: it is important to
keep in mind that the broader climate standards are related to
seasonal changes and are not meant to be a broadening in +/- from
the base line for short term daily, weekly or even monthly changes.
The broader tolerance is related to slow seasonal change adjusted to
the given location. Thus the lower RH in the winter and higher RH in
the summer are more manageable and greener.  I think misconceptions
can result from the way the relaxed criteria is expressed without a
full explanation and without explaining how this can be implemented.

Laurent Sozzani
Senior Paintings Restorer
Paintings Restoration Department
Rijksmuseum Amsterdam - Atelier Gebouw