Subject: Paper and cardboard models

Paper and cardboard models

From: Clare Reynolds <creynolds<-at->
Date: Thursday, April 29, 2010
Seren Fisher <s.fisher [at] nhm__ac__uk> writes

>Marianne de Bovis <mariannedebovis [at] hotmail__fr> writes
>
>>I am student in Brussels (Belgium). I am doing a thesis about
>>restoration of architectural and scenery models in paper and
>>cardboard. Very few articles deal with this subject ...
>
>When I worked at the Museum of London during and after graduating,
>we acquired a large scale model of a street called 'London Fields
>East - The Ghetto'. It was created by a photographer and model maker
>and constructed from a variety of ephemeral materials including
>corrugated board, MDF, photo's and newsprint, with an approximate
>size of 5.2m x 2.4m x 460mm. In addition there were integral
>lighting and sound recordings.

London Fields - The Ghetto 1994, by Tom Hunter and James Mackinnon
is, as Seren correctly remembers, a spectacular item in the Museum
of London's collection.  It is one of the many exhibits in the brand
new Galleries of Modern London, which are about to open on 28 May
2010 after a UKP20 million redevelopment.  The model was not
originally constructed with any idea of long term stability or
survival, and has presented the paper conservators at the Museum of
London with a succession of challenges.  We are planning on
presenting to conservation professionals our experiences attempting
to meet these challenges, at some point in the near future.

Clare Reynolds
Paper Conservator, Conservation Department
Museum of London
150 London Wall
London. EC2Y 5HN
+44 20 7814 5645