Subject: Position at English Heritage

Position at English Heritage

From: Angela Karsten <angela.karsten<-at->
Date: Monday, April 26, 2010
Archaeological Conservator
English Heritage

UKP25,618, Fort Cumberland, Portsmouth
Temporary contract for nine-months (maternity cover)

Archaeological conservation is key to our research efforts at
English Heritage.  Your passion for British archaeology and
investigative conservation will make all the difference when you're
part of the team.

English Heritage protects and provides advice on this country's
unique legacy of historic buildings, landscapes and archaeological
sites. We also manage over 400 sites and welcome in excess of 11
million visitors to these each year.

Our Archaeological Conservation and Technology Team has a central
role in providing a holistic approach to the study of artefacts and
associated residues, from creation through use, modification, burial
and recovery, to subsequent investigative analysis.

Your brief will be to handle the investigative conservation of
materials from terrestrial and marine environments on the
archaeological projects we support. In addition, you'll guide,
advise and train others in archaeological conservation, and carry
out research.

The work will involve site visits, assessments, analysis and
dissemination, and using equipment such as microscopy,
X-Radiography, XRF, XRD and FTIR. The variety continues, as you'll
be initiating and taking on research to maintain best practice, and
making sure the results reach the relevant publications. Advice and
professional training form another strand of the work, which will
see you training regional curators, consultants and archaeologists.

Ideally an accredited Conservator in ICON or someone who's working
towards accredited status, you will certainly have a relevant degree
or equivalent in Archaeological Conservation. Experience in
investigative conservation and in conserving a wide range of
archaeological materials will be essential, and you should be keen
to deliver training.

To discover more and apply, please visit

    <URL:http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/jobs>

We are unable to accept CVs.

Closing date: 29 April 2010.
Interview date: 7 May 2010.