Subject: Adolf Hitler and ink

Adolf Hitler and ink

From: Chris Woods <conservation<-at->
Date: Wednesday, April 28, 2010
An archive, a member of the National Conservation Service, has
recently asked me to conserve a letter signed by Adolf Hitler, which
has been repaired with a self-adhesive tape.

Before undertaking any tests or treatment I wonder if colleagues
could help me with following:

Can anyone who may have worked on typescript letters from the
Reichschancellor's office of the period 1937, and years either side,
forewarn me of any solubility issues of typewriter ink and printing
ink used?

Likewise can anyone who has worked on Hitler's handwriting let me
know anything about the nature of the ink he used?

Does anyone have any specific information regarding the nature of
the paper used in Berlin correspondence from that source?

If anyone has any ethical or philosophical observations on work with
such material I would also welcome receiving them.

Chris Woods
National Conservation Service
Royal Institution of Great Britain
21 Albermarle Street