Subject: Storing coins

Storing coins

From: Susan White <smwhitewhite<-at->
Date: Sunday, April 25, 2010
Does anyone know how to tell if a particular plastic is likely to
outgas acidic components?  I have a museum client who has been
housing Greek and Roman bronze coins in "Archival" plastic sleeves,
similar to photographic slide sleeves; however, the coins are
starting to bloom with bronze disease and I'm suspicious that the
plastic may not actually be suitable for holding bronze coins and
outgassing corrosive reagents. I tried to test the plastic using a
pH pen designed for testing paper, but the results were ambiguous.

Susan White
White Conservation Services

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 28, 2010