Subject: Storing silver

Storing silver

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-at->
Date: Monday, April 26, 2010
Cihat Uzun <objectconservation [at] yahoo__com> writes

>We are revising our storage. we have a lot of silver objects such as
>plates, spoons, and forks. We are searching for polyethylene. It is
>cheap and inert. Do you think is it proper for long term storage?
>What properties do we have to take into consideration while choosing
>packing materials for silver objects

<URL:http://www.intercepttechnology.com/technology.htm>

Yes, polyethylene is appropriate for long term storage. Tupperware
type containers and Ziploc style bags are usually polyethylene, but
check the item you are buying.

The main concerns with silver are: fingerprints--wear gloves, and
package items such that they can be viewed without excessive
handling. sulphur pollution--avoid rubber, latex, felt and other
sulphur containing polymers, paints, and packaging materials. If you
live in an area with high levels of urban pollution and little or no
filtering on the museum air condition system you may need to use
pollution scavenging materials such as activated charcoal or silver
cloth, but a maintenance schedule would need to be created, as these
material become spent and wear out.

You don't want to create any microclimates if you're sealing things
in a bag or box. Other forms of pollution can also be bad. Dust can
attract pollutants and humidity to the surface and be a node for
corrosion to occur. Light can cause silver to darken if it has been
contaminated with chlorides, but storage wrapped or in a box solves
that problem. As with all metals, lower humidities are preferred,
but silver is less susceptible than other metals. Dissimilar metals
in contact can cause staining of the silver and accelerated
corrosion of the baser metal. Hope that helps.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland Museum
Tamaki Paenga Hira