Subject: Storing silver

Storing silver

From: Victoria Gill <victoria.gill<-at->
Date: Sunday, April 25, 2010
Cihat Uzun <objectconservation [at] yahoo__com> writes

>We are revising our storage. we have a lot of silver objects such as
>plates, spoons, and forks. We are searching for polyethylene. It is
>cheap and inert. Do you think is it proper for long term storage?
>What properties do we have to take into consideration while choosing
>packing materials for silver objects

<URL:http://www.intercepttechnology.com/technology.htm>

When storing silver consider using Intercept. It is a polyethylene
product which has copper particles embedded in it. The copper
sacrificially adsorbs free radicals of sulphur and chlorides, thus
protecting the silver objects. There is also an Intercept product
which includes carbon which is proving to be useful in scavenging
organic acids which maybe detrimental to some materials. (lead etc
and some silver items have lead or pewter joins and parts).

Personally I do not like any plastic in direct contact with
artefacts and I feel that the silver items are best given a quick
degrease (alcohol) to remove any finger prints etc. which in storage
may etch the item. Wrap the item in pre-washed flannelette and then
place in an intercept bag or box lined with Intercept.

The down side is all items will need a photographic labels on the
shelf, as finding items which you can no longer glance at, needs to
be considered. Handling protocols need to be reviewed as the
grabbing/lifting of items which are now covered can also damage
delicate parts. Naturally cotton gloves should be used at all times
handling silver.

I don't usually endorse a single product or solution but in this
case it is the best option.

Victoria Gill
Conservator
Heritage consultant