Subject: Marking lacquer

Marking lacquer

From: Nicky Lobaton <paulina.lobaton<-at->
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2010
We have some Oriental lacquer objects in our collection, mostly from
Japan and China that need numbering. I would be interested in
knowing what other conservators have used for numbering these type
of objects, and their experience in application and removal.
Although I have considered using water soluble pencils and removable
tags I wondered if there were other more permanent systems that
conservators might have found appropriate that are reversible and
don't damage the objects.

Paulina Lobaton
Objects Conservator
Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology