Subject: Alcan a Paris

Alcan a Paris

From: Brian McLaughlin <brian.mclaughlin<-at->
Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2010
I was recently asked to inspect fourteen "Stations of the Cross"
paintings, which I am hoping someone can help me with.

They are all signed 'Alcan a Paris' and all have canvas stamps on
the reverse which reads, 'ALCAN, IL r d'assas, a PARIS'. I can
forward a selection of images of the pictures (and reverse if
required).

The paintings are quite unusual as some of them are flaking, but
they also exhibit a mass produced 'feel' about them, and I was
wondering if they were a type of mechanical reproduction oil
painting. I would imagine they are mid 19th to early 20th century. I
have not been able to sample the paintings and I have only inspected
them visually.

If anyone can throw any light on this firm or its products it would
be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Brian McLaughlin BA (Hons) MA ACR
Painting + Restoration Studio
The WASPS Factory
Studio 108