Subject: Post-it notes

Post-it notes

From: Melanie Wilkinson <mwilkins<-at->
Date: Monday, April 12, 2010
I am currently working toward an access solution for a collection of
manuscripts held by the National Library of Australia. I am seeking
advice from other conservators who may have encountered a collection
with a similar problem.

The collection includes a mixture of ring bound folders and spiral
bound notebooks with fluoro coloured post-it notes attached to
individual pages. The post-it notes are an integral part of the
manuscript collection as they contain content that is particularly
relevant to individual pages.

The post-it notes also protrude outside of the covers of the folders
and notebooks, making them susceptible to handling damage and
accidental removal by staff and the public.

Ultimately, I would like to find a solution that would allow the
post-it notes to remain with the pages they are currently attached
to as well as a method that protects the fluoro post-it notes from
light damage.

I would be interested in advice from conservators or collection
professionals who have resolved a similar problem and what methods
were used to facilitate safe handling of the physical collection.

Melanie Wilkinson
Preservation Services
National Library of Australia
Canberra ACT 2600