Subject: Binocular polarizing microscope sought

Binocular polarizing microscope sought

From: Michael Pearce <michael.pearce<-at->
Date: Monday, April 12, 2010
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] aim__com> writes

>I'm looking to purchase a used binocular polarizing microscope for
>pigment identification, preferably good quality. I can't really
>afford a new microscope, and was hoping that another conservator
>might have one that they are interesting in selling or that someone
>might know of a vendor who sells used, high quality microscopes. ...

Just to add, it may be unnecessary to specify a binocular microscope
for polarised light work.  Monocular microscopes can easily be
adapted for digital photography with standard inexpensive digital or
USB cameras, using the focusing screen. But photography is not
usually necessary, identification by microscopy requires a series of
slightly different observations to be tick-boxed.  Inexpensive new
and secondhand  Russian and Chinese kit microscopes are more than
adequate.  These monocular microscopes also provide the bright
illumination necessary to view the image with a Chelsea filter in
order to distinguish cobalt based blue pigments--binocular
microscope images can be too dim.  I too have an old brass Leitz,
and successfully inspect the image with a fibre-optic spectrometer.

Michael Pearce
Historic Scotland

                  Distributed: Friday, April 16, 2010