Subject: Lizards in collection

Lizards in collection

From: Victoria Gill <victoria.gill<-at->
Date: Saturday, April 10, 2010
Thatayaone Segaetsho <segaetshot [at] mopipi__ub__bw> writes

>I have just discovered habitation  of small lizards within  my
>collection. ...

While teaching, Prof Colin Pearson told us a fantastic story about a
large lizard in a (tropical)collection area. Naturally he
recommended the lizard be moved out. After only 3 days the
collection area was full of mice. (they had to bring the lizard
back, while they looked at the bigger picture). The corollary is,
the lizards are there for a reason. I totally agree with Mr
Simmons's assessment but I wish to add: if it is dry make sure the
reason is not moisture (a hidden slow plumbing leak may be bringing
them in.) But that leak might not yet be big enough to be detected
in other ways. They don't need much moisture and a damp wall is very
attractive. But they must also have a food source to keep them
coming.

Victoria Gill
Conservation Consultant
39 Ponce st