Subject: Clearing snow and ice from marble steps

Clearing snow and ice from marble steps

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-at->
Date: Thursday, April 15, 2010
Barbara Appelbaum <aandh [at] mindspring__com> writes

>A client of ours has asked about the problem of clearing snow and
>ice from marble steps.  She knows that salt should not be used.  Is
>it possible to apply coatings in advance that will mitigate the
>possible effects of salt, or is there something else--ash or sand,
>perhaps--that is not harmful to marble?

Thanks to Susanne Sutherland from Parks Canada I got information on
a product called EcoTraction.  The stuff is harmless for
groundwater, animals, and vegetation.  According to Ellen Watson,
their customer service rep, it doesn't scratch, and it tracks less
than other materials.  It also takes less to do the job.

Contact:

    ellen<-at->ecotraction<.>com,
    <URL:http://www.ecotraction.com>

The company doesn't sell it directly, but will put you in touch with
suppliers.

Barbara Appelbaum
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West