Subject: Textile reproduction for historic house

Textile reproduction for historic house

From: Paulette Reading <paulette.reading<-at->
Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2010
I recently looked at a wall hanging in a historic house that has
suffered severe water damage. They are calling it a tapestry, but it
is actually a machine woven textile depicting a landscape scene. The
image repeats approximately every 40 inches. For various reasons, I
would like to recommend that a reproduction be made and installed on
top of the original rather than trying to clean the textile. Does
anyone have any experience with this? Can anyone recommend a company
that does this sort of thing? I don't know if I should pursue an
actual reproduction of the weave, or if a digitally printed image on
fabric would work? I have pictures of the textile that I can forward
if that would be helpful.

Paulette Reading
Textile Conservation
Denver, CO 80211