Subject: Pamphlet boxes

Pamphlet boxes

From: Laura Wahl <lwahl<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2010
We currently store our rare trade catalogues individually in paper
envelopes and vertical open-topped pamphlet boxes.  These are 12 1/2
x 4 x 9 1/8 inch green paper covered boxes with buffered paper
lining and an acidic core board.  I would like recommendations for a
sturdy and stable, all acid and lignin free replacement for the
current boxes.

Some of the metal reinforced boxes were tried in the past and they
were not strong enough.  Many types of these boxes are available,
but they have a steeply angled cutout or curved side cutout that
provide much less support than the current style.  We also looked at
some styles that ship flat, but the bottoms were too wobbly.

I know it seems like this should not be difficult, but I have
searched high and low through several suppliers catalogues and
nothing available is exactly the same size and format as the boxes
currently in use.  What do other institutions use for this type of
storage? These are accessed regularly and this is why the open
topped styles were chosen.

Laura Wahl
Library Conservator
Hagley Museum and Library