Subject: Fading of TTY paper

Fading of TTY paper

From: Peter D Verheyen <pdverhey<-at->
Date: Friday, April 2, 2010
Thank you to all for the thoughtful responses I received to my
original query in Conservation DistList Instance: 23:34 Thursday,
March 11, 2010.

I finally had a chance to look at the materials and found that there
are two types of paper, one like newsprint and the other like cash
register receipt paper. In no cases did I identify any "fading" of
the inks although the "newsprint" type paper has clearly yellowed
with age. I won't get into the mechanical damage. Print quality is
uneven as was often the case with inked ribbons, and the problems in
the 3rd sample are of mechanical origin.

Samples were originally scanned at 600dpi and rescaled to the size
shown at 100dpi. Due to scanner calibration issues color is shifted
towards the yellow.

Sample 1

    "Newsprint" type paper from roll. Red/black ink with printing
    seemingly random in terms of color. Just like the old Associated
    Press tty we got our news feeds from when I worked in college
    radio, or the typewriters we used then. No indication of real
    impact.

Sample 2

    Paper of same type. Text same except just black ink

Sample 3

    "Cash register" type paper (end of roll pink) with uneven
    printing in places. Looks like 9- pin.

Images of these samples can be seen at

    <URL:http://pdverhey.mysite.syr.edu/sul_web/tty_paper/>

Thank you again for your responses.