Subject: Clearing snow and ice from marble steps

Clearing snow and ice from marble steps

From: David Cottier-Angeli <dca<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Following this discussion launched by Barbara Appelbaum, I am quite
surprise that none of us are mentioning this simple and logical step
taken well head of all chemical treatment that were discussed here.

Snow in Switzerland is something we deal quite knowledgeably and my
only thoughts goes toward a simple measure to avoid the use of any
additives because as we have seen, they are not recommended for
porous materials such as marble.

As snow is falling, or better, as soon as the snow end to fall, and
before peoples start to walk over it, move the snow out of the way
with the help of a wooden palette (or even better the one made in
bamboo).

You then are using the cold windy weather as a perfect dryer and you
will see that in no time the soil will dry out.

Obviously this apply only to fresh snow that can be manually
removed. If it melts and re-ices, or if it rains and then freezes,
obviously this process does not apply. As a matter of facts, the
re-icing must be prevented by all means and the action absolutely
must taken before this process occurs (usually this is before night
comes or snow turn to rain).

This procedure will not require any particular skill, but make sure
to acquire palettes that are metal free to prevent any scratches on
the soft marble surface.  The easy and fastest way to perform the
task is to act just as the snowfall ends by rejecting below and to
the side side of every marble step and whenever possible before
people start to walk over.

Hope this simple method help this discussion,

David Cottier-Angeli
Associated Member of the Swiss Chamber of Technical and Scientific
    Forensic Experts
5C Route des Jeunes
CH-1227 Geneva
+41 22 300 19 55