Subject: Temperature control in exhibit cases

Temperature control in exhibit cases

From: Jerry Shiner <info<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Meg Brown <megbrown [at] nc__rr__com> writes

>...  We are investigating the possibility of making
>cases that could offer active temperature and RH control.  I am
>interested in hearing about experiences with active systems--negative
>and positive comments.  We do not have an on-staff facilities
>manager and I am concerned with potential pitfalls.

I am often asked to provide a combination of temperature and
humidity control for special exhibition spaces. Generally, my
immediate response is to point out that controlling humidity is
usually relatively straight-forward, and that any sort of
temperature control is complex to achieve and almost always very
expensive.

Humidity control can be accomplished with a combination of good
casework, appropriate lighting, attention to ambient conditions,
accurate measurement and logging, and the use of active and passive
methods. Given the particular application, any or all of the above
can be used to contribute to effective control, but careful
consideration is needed to examine the application and determine the
most cost effective options.

Temperature control is available, but you may decide not to pursue
this (most do not). It is important to note that the direct effect
of temperature on most artefacts is usually considered less
important than the effect of humidity changes due to temperature
fluctuations. If you can effectively control the humidity level, the
most deleterious effects of temperature fluctuation are diminished.
It does come down to risk assessment and budget.

My one observation (when asked about what does and doesn't work) is
to beware the "magic bullet" approach. Humidity control is
accomplished by many variables working in concert. This includes
staffing, budget, scheduling constraints, and more.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Microclimate Systems
416-703-4696
+1-800-683 4696