Subject: Palazzo Spinelli

Palazzo Spinelli

From: Helena Bernal <helena.bernal<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Beatriz Pires <bea.arp [at] gmail__com> writes

>During my research of possible places to with that master degree
>available, I came across the Palazzo Spinelli, in Florence, Italy,
><URL:http://www.spinelli.it/ita> and their Master in the restoration
>of paintings and polychrome/gilt objects. I would like to inquire if
>there is anyone with previous experience about that particular
>institute that would be able to give me an opinion about its quality
>and if it is in fact a good place for me to further my education.
>
>Also, I am also curious to know if the course in question is in fact
>a Master Degree, recognized as such in other countries outside of
>Italy ...

In Florence there are two serious schools at which to study
restoration: Palazzo Spinelli and U.I.A. (Universita Internazionale
dell'Arte).  Palazzo Spinelli is better known because it invests
more in advertising.  U.I.A. is interesting because most of the
professors come from O.P.D. (Opificio delle Pietre Dure-state
restoration laboratory).

I followed a three years course of restoration of paintings at UIA
(years 2005-2007) and I also know young restorers who trained at
Palazzo Spinelli, so I can say that both trainings are good.  The
problem is that these courses, even when called "Masters" are in
fact not recognised by the State.  At the moment in Italy there is a
very complicated situation as far as recognition of restoration
training is concerned.  If you want to study in Italy, new
universitary recognised courses will start this year in Rome at ISCR
(Istituto Superiore per la Conservazione ed il Restauro) and soon
also at OPD. You could also ask for information about Venaria Reale
in Turin, where I think that the universitary course is now
recognised.  I hope that this information will be useful for you.

  **** Moderator's comments:
  From the Venaria Reale site
  <URL:http://www.lavenaria.it/complesso/eng/centro_restauro.shtml>

   "The Center is also home to an Advanced Restoration School where
    students receive the theoretical and practical teachings to
    become professional restorers in the framework of University
    education. The school has started the first university degree to
    train restorers of the cultural heritage and cooperates with the
    Istituto Centrale del Restauro  (Central Restoration Institute),
    the Opificio delle Pietre dure  in Florence, and the Istituto
    Centrale per la Patologia del Libro  (Book Conservation
    Institute)."

Helena Bernal

                   Distributed: Sunday, April 4, 2010