Subject: Fading of TTY paper

Fading of TTY paper

From: George Brock-Nannestad <pattac<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Martin Juergens <post [at] martinjuergens__net> writes

>Peter D Verheyen <pdverhey [at] syr__edu> writes
>
>>I have question regarding fading of yellow TTY (teletypewriter)
>>paper from the late 1970s/early 80s. ...
>
>I did a little bit of research on this topic a few years ago ...

To Martin Juergens' very full answer I would add the complication
that the yellow sheet may be only sheet two in what might originally
have been a set in a roll, using a carbonless technique for marking
the second sheet. This implies that sheet 1 had microcapsules on the
reverse (the original that received the impact from a typehead via a
ribbon). When the microcapsules containing a non-coloured substance
broke and contacted the top layer of sheet 2, which was indeed
yellow in many cases, its impregnation with clay caused a colour
reaction that may not be permanent.

The article on

    <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonless_copy_paper>

seems to me to be quite accurate. The PCB scare would be the least
with sheet 2 in Peter D Verheyen's case.

George Brock-Nannestad
Patent Tactics

                  Distributed: Monday, March 29, 2010