Subject: Displaying copper etching plates

Displaying copper etching plates

From: Victoria Gill <victoria.gill<-at->
Date: Friday, March 12, 2010
Bill Brown <bbrown [at] ncmamail__dcr__state__nc__us> writes

>We have a set of Rembrandt's copper etching plates which our curator
>of Northern European Art would like to display.  He would also like
>the plates to be inked so that the etched lines are readable.  Does
>anyone have experience with the display (long term) and inking of
>Rembrandt plates in a museum context?  My concern is that
>traditional oil-based inks would degrade the copper plate over time
>and become difficult to remove.  I'm considering a resin-based black
>paint such as Maimeri Restauro or Charbonnel Restauration but have
>no experience with this application.  The plates will be displayed
>in a conditioned microclimate which should slow oxidation to the
>copper.

It would seem to me there is no need to use ink or risk the
oxidation of the ink pitting the plates. Fine lines are enhanced on
many materials such as palm book by buffing crushed charcoal in the
scratches at point of manufacture. I would have thought passing
activated carbon over the plates and gently wiping off loose surplus
would be enough. If how ever, dependant on the design this is not
enough, try crushed activated carbon mixed with a little micro
crystalline wax and finely blended. Warm the wax to allow the
inclusion of enough carbon to make a black paste and use this in a
gentle circular motion over the plate, as if it were ink. This
should highlight the image well. This should not harm the plate and
should be easily removable when it comes time to store them off
display.

Victoria Gill
Consultant Conservator

                  Distributed: Monday, March 22, 2010