Subject: Zeljko Kujundic mural

Zeljko Kujundic mural

From: Ailsa Murray <ailsa.murray<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010
We have currently been asked to provide conservation advice on the
preservation of a 1950s mural painting by Yugoslavian born artist,
Zeljko Kujundic (1920-2003). The mural, painted in 1958, is found in
the parish church of St Mahew, Cardross, West of Scotland, UK and
was painted the same year that Kujundic left for Canada to be
founder and director of the kootenay School of Art, Nelson, British
Columbia. At present the mural is suffering badly from flaking paint
and there is much related loss. We are interested to find out more
about the painting technique used as feel this may be related to the
deterioration and also to assist in recommending the most
appropriate consolidation technique. I would be interested to know
if anyone has ever come across or treated a work by Kujundic (also
worked in ceramic, wooden sculpture) and is familiar with the
mediums that he used? Any information would be much appreciated.

Ailsa Murray
Paintings Conservator
Historic Scotland Conservation Centre
7 South Gyle Crescent