Subject: Water purification systems

Water purification systems

From: Scott Reinke <kiribako<-at->
Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2010
The University of Miami Libraries is designing a book and paper
conservation lab and we need to specify the type of water filtration
system and the design/size of our washing sink to the architects.
After reviewing the list archive I saw that the topic was covered to
some degree in 2007 when Duke University was planning their lab and
it appears that deionization was the water filtration system of
choice at that time when it came to cost, space, and maintenance
considerations. This has been a great starting point, but I was
curious if there are any additional comments or suggestions
regarding water filtration systems and washing sinks that have been
installed, particularly in some of the more compact labs.

Our lab has limited space to install a water filtration system so I
am asking for recommendations on a system that is compact, easy to
maintain, efficient, and cost effective (considering initial install
and consumables).

When it comes to installing deionized water systems there appear to
be options such as UV, recirculation pumps, bacteria filters, and
recalcification to name a few. If I had to choose from these options
can anyone rank these in order of importance or are they even
necessary? If I understand the process correctly, the end result of
a deionized water system is highly reactive 18 megaohm water supply
that could be modified by a recalcification stage so that it is safe
to use on artifacts... So is recalcification actually a necessary
step rather than an option? I also read that the deionized water
would react with the air to bring down the megaohm value once it is
dispensed to the washing tray. I have seen some deionized water
system specifications that produce water with a lower megaohm
value... are there advantages/disadvantages to installing these
types of systems or does this basically mean that the system is not
removing all the ions?

I am also seeking advice from anyone who has gone through the
process of sink design and is willing to share their experiences; or
can recommend a specific manufacturer/fabricator (I did find one
manufacturer listed in the list archives, Kreonite, Inc and told
about another Elkay Manufacturing). The current working area of the
sink we would like to install is 36 x 54 x 6 inches.

When it comes to washing sinks there seems to be two options:
provide the architects with specifications and have them handle the
fabrication, or identify a third party manufacturer and purchase the
sink separately and have it installed. It also appears that
stainless steel is the preferred construction material, but are
there any other material options that have been explored for sink
designs? Are there Pros and Cons of these materials?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Scott Reinke
Preservation Administrator
University of Miami Libraries

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 11, 2010