Subject: Displaying copper etching plates

Displaying copper etching plates

From: Bill Brown <bbrown<-at->
Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2010
We have a set of Rembrandt's copper etching plates which our curator
of Northern European Art would like to display.  He would also like
the plates to be inked so that the etched lines are readable.  Does
anyone have experience with the display (long term) and inking of
Rembrandt plates in a museum context?  My concern is that
traditional oil-based inks would degrade the copper plate over time
and become difficult to remove.  I'm considering a resin-based black
paint such as Maimeri Restauro or Charbonnel Restauration but have
no experience with this application.  The plates will be displayed
in a conditioned microclimate which should slow oxidation to the
copper.

William P. Brown
Chief Conservator
North Carolina Museum of Art