Subject: Core conservation resources

Core conservation resources

From: Carolyn Tallent <ctallent<-at->
Date: Thursday, March 4, 2010
Have you ever thought about the basic sources you draw on day after
day to make treatment decisions, the articles that gave you the core
information that explains what you see and how to deal with it,
material that has become so much a part of your thought processes
you almost don't remember not knowing it.

Recently, I realized I had a handful of such sources, which
consciously or not, informed my practice.   And, while there are
lots of other bits gathered over the years, the basic group was
fairly small, Which led me to wonder about everybody else's list.

This is an invitation to quiz yourself.  What are, to you, the
articles that have stood the test of time, the greatest hits, the
stuff you really use?   If you had to suggest "must reads" for a
conservator in training, what would they be?   If you had never read
them, would your work be the same?

I'd like to put together an article for the WAAC Newsletter
compiling your lists.   Please give it some thought, and send me
your results. I will decide how to organize the material when I see
what comes in. I'm in private practice and do treatments every day,
so mine reflect that, yours might cover philosophy or science, or
who knows.

Try to keep submissions down to less than five.

Be honest.  I may or may not run them with names; you can specify if
you prefer anonymity, but do give your specialty.   Also, if you
want, add a sentence about why you think the source is important.

Note:  We are getting closer to having the back issues for the last
eight or so years of the Newsletter ready to go onto our website
(finally).  When they are up, we will post a list of the feature
articles.

Carolyn Tallent
Editor

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 11, 2010