Subject: Chromic acid

Chromic acid

From: Barry Knight <barry.knight<-at->
Date: Thursday, March 4, 2010
Cihat Uzun asks about the possible use of chromic acid in
conservation. I would strongly recommend against this.  Chromic acid
is very corrosive and toxic and is believed to be a carcinogen.  It
is harmful to the environment.  It used to be used for cleaning
glassware in chemistry laboratories, but this was discontinued a
long time ago, and I can't think of any legitimate use for it in
conservation.  Don't use it!

Dr Barry Knight
Head of Conservation Research
The British Library