Subject: Silica gel for passive buffering of enclosures

Silica gel for passive buffering of enclosures

From: Andrew Calver <andrewcalver<-at->
Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2010
I am giving a presentation at the ICON (Institute of Conservation)
Conservation in Focus 2010 conference in Cardiff, Wales in March on
sustainable relative humidity (RH) control for mixed collections.

To give a broader context to my presentation I would be very
interested to hear from anyone who has any long term experience of
using silica gel or other similar moisture buffers to moderate the
RH in enclosures such as display cases, picture frames, storage
boxes or cabinets. I am particularly interested in the use of
moisture buffers to control the humidity around the annual mean
internal RH--the classic Garry Thomson approach that does not
require you to recondition the silica gel to a target RH different
from the annual mean RH of the room.

If anyone has any experiences or experiences or environmental data
that would be willing to share please contact me by email off-list
My email address isandrewcalver_at_hotmail_co_uk.

Andrew Calver
Museum Conservation Officer
St Albans Museums Service
UK