Subject: ICOM joint interim working groups meeting

ICOM joint interim working groups meeting

From: Jean Brown <jean.brown<-at->
Date: Monday, March 1, 2010
Combined Interim Meeting of the ICOM CC Working Groups for
'Education and Training' and for 'Modern Materials and Contemporary
Art'

As you may know, the Education and Training Working Group (WG) of
ICOM-CC is co-ordinating an interim meeting with the Modern
Materials and Contemporary Art WG in Maastricht on June 12-13, 2010
(to run immediately after the "Contemporary Art: Who Cares?"
symposium in Amsterdam, June 9-11). The primary aim of this meeting
is to consider and discuss how training programs are responding to
the new knowledge and skills that are often required for the
conservation of modern and contemporary works of art.  For the
purpose of this meeting, we are defining "modern and contemporary
art" very loosely, from traditional art forms -such as paintings and
works on paper--to conceptual and installation art; and with an
approximate "cut-off date" of 1910, i.e. art from the last 100
years.

Much of this meeting will take the form of panel discussion and open
debate (instead of presentations), and we are hoping to attract
participation from as many of the existing training programs as
possible.  And to begin the debate, we are proposing to circulate an
electronic newsletter that will summarise the ways in which existing
conservation programs are covering this aspect.  We have already
contacted all those training programs that are currently listed on
the INCCA Education webpage, but realise that there are many other
programs actively engaged in this endeavour.

So please let me know (jean.brown<-at->northumbria<.>ac<.>uk) if you would
like your program to be included in this exercise as soon as
possible, and definitely by Friday 12 March.  Please include a 1000
word (max) description of your current and future plans for your
programs including:

    Have you already adapted your training programme to reflect some
    of the new conservation needs being created by modern and
    contemporary art?  If so, how?  And what type of art?

    How are you realistically intending to modify your training
    programme over the next few years to reflect these growing
    needs?

    What would you ideally like to do with your training programme
    (i.e. if resources were not an issue) to respond to these needs?

If there are additional details that you would like to include they
would be more than welcome.  And once I hear back from you, I will
also send you a short template, asking for more information on
overall program content, structure and organization etc, which will
make comparisons amongst programs more apparent.

After the meeting we would aim to publish all this information (once
you have had a chance to edit your entry) on the ICOM-CC website,
and the INCCA Education website.

I look forward to your responses

Jean Brown
Coordinator for the Education and Training Working Group (WG) of ICOM-CC

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 3, 2010