Subject: Spray Mount Artist's Adhesive

Spray Mount Artist's Adhesive

From: Martin O'Brien <martinjobrien<-at->
Date: Sunday, February 14, 2010
Saloni Ghuwalewala <sghuwalewala [at] gmail__com> writes

>I have a paper object on which collagraphs have been adhered with 3M
>Spray Mount. These have to be detached from the paper backing and
>the collagraphs and backing, which are both damaged, have to be
>treated before the collagraphs are re adhered either to the original
>support or a new one (as requested by the artist). Has anyone had
>any experience with 3M Spray Mount?

I have used 3M spray mount for many years in wooden artifacts
conservation for temporarily holding objects.  In my experience I
have found that it does not crosslink with age, thus making it easy
to remove with stoddard solvent (low aromatics mineral spirits) or
VM&P naphtha.  Please be aware that I have had very limited
experience/ success removing residues from paper.  I advise you to
test first on non-critical surfaces.

Martin O'Brien
Wood Artifacts Conservator
Winston Salem, North Carolina