Subject: Cor-Ten steel

Cor-Ten steel

From: Ruhi Baharad <conschem<-at->
Date: Monday, February 8, 2010
The conservation department of the Israel Museum was asked to find
out about the suitability of Cor-Ten Steel as wall cladding for
long-term hanging of artifacts made of organic material and metals.

The matter is of some urgency, and our experience with Cor-Ten steel
is limited to outdoor sculpture, but the research we conducted in
the past few weeks raises some concerns. We would appreciate any
information and opinions about the use of Cor-Ten Steel in displays;
possible coating of Cor-Ten; names of museums that used it or are
still using it, and any possible concerns regarding long-term use.

David Bigelajzen

                Distributed: Thursday, February 11, 2010