Subject: Bound pamphlets in special collections

Bound pamphlets in special collections

From: Consuela Metzger <chela<-at->
Date: Friday, February 5, 2010
    author.

I will be giving a paper at the American Institute for Conservation
of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)  annual conference  this May.
The topic is the  conservation treatment and cataloging of a
collection of bound special collection pamphlets.  Any one volume of
this pamphlet collection could have 3 to 50 pamphlet titles of
different sizes bound together--this can be a typical situation for
older bound pamphlet collections.  I am looking back at a bound
pamphlet project I was part of 13 years ago, assessing the project's
approach and results.

To give a richer context to the talk, I was hoping that any of you
who felt you had the time and interest could (off-list) send me a
short  informal assessments of such bound pamphlet projects in your
institutions, either completed bound pamphlet projects you have
inherited from the past or projects finished more recently. I will
select quotes to use during my AIC talk, giving each respondent many
chances to review the quotes in context before I use them. It would
be great to receive the responses by March 1, 2010

I am especially interested in decisions to disbind these special
collection pamphlet volumes, from the point of view of collection
managers, conservators and scholars.  My e-mail is
chela<-at->ischool<.>utexas<.>edu

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this topic you can find the
time to share off-list.

Consuela (Chela) Metzger
Lecturer--School of Information
UTA 5.440--D8600
1616 Guadalupe St. Suite 5.202
Austin, TX 78701-1213
office:512-471-8293
Fax: 512-471-3971

                Distributed: Thursday, February 11, 2010