Subject: Ants in historic home

Ants in historic home

From: Ian Fraser <ian.fraser<-at->
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Ashley Stevens <ashley.stevens [at] ottawa__ca> writes

>I work in a museum that is situated in a historic home.  We recently
>have started to have an issue with ants in our kitchen area.

I suggest that you get the exact species identified. It might be
that knowing more about their specific biology might give a clue as
to why the little buggers are there, and keep coming back. No doubt
they are a nuisance, but are they causing damage? The Canadian
Conservation Institute is in your neighbourhood, and I imagine that
someone like Tom Strang at CCI could advise further.

Ian Fraser
Conservator
Leeds Museums and Galleries
Temple Newsam House
Leeds
LS15 0AE
United Kingdom

                Distributed: Thursday, February 11, 2010