Subject: Storage environment for objects

Storage environment for objects

From: Patricia Smith-Hunt <patricia.smith-hunt<-at->
Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Our Special Collections department has a sizeable, and growing,
collection of Star Trek/Star Wars realia, and I would appreciate any
recommended best practices for storing such objects.

The collection currently includes hand-painted porcelain and plastic
resin statues, an R2 D2 wastebasket, and a variety of action figures
with other paraphernalia such as weapons, cards, etc.  Most of the
material is stored in its original box/packaging, with styrofoam
encasement, and plastic. Some of the storage packaging shows signs
of colour fading, and in other instances, the plastic covers are
beginning to yellow and crack. The collection also includes a number
of other objects such as figurines, mugs, and a cookie jar. These
items are currently stored in bubble wrap. If at all possible we
would also want to preserve the original packaging material.

Patricia Smith-Hunt, Ph.D
Head, Preservation Services Dept.
University of California, Riverside
PO Box 5900